Translate

Thursday, November 23, 2006

Alternative medicine to be put to the test

Alternative medicine to be put to the test :

"Australians spend about $1bn each year on complementary medicines including vitamins, homeopathic medicines and traditional Asian and indigenous medicines."

It doesn't matter what you put into your system, you have to know the effects, the side effects and likely reactions. It's that kind of vigilance which is often missing. We assume because it's medicine or vitamins then no harm will come to us. I think it is vital to read all you can about anything. I think it's important to consider small doses first. I find I often get too much prescribed and a smaller dose works better. My sister is the opposite. Every one has a body which processes things in a different way. What suits one person, does not suit another. I thank my GP for his very sane approach to medicine. He is very good at highlighting what might be reactions. He always explains what effects something might have. He does listen to his patients and will suggest things which others have found helpful and he will try and come up with a range of practical and medicinal treatments. I think he is very special because he has trained me over the years to consider carefully what I am taking and why and whether I need this or that . He makes me an active participant in my treatment. The best thing , though, is when you really are low and you really feel defeated by an illness, he gives you things to do. The doing is very empowering. It makes you take control and it makes you part of your wellness. It's not something some tablet does. The tablet is part of your overall "doing". People do need to be reminded to check labels, read pamphlets and get information, no matter what it is they plan to take. In health food shops I ask their opinion and I have shared mine with them. It all adds to the knowledge base.

No comments: