Translate

Sunday, December 18, 2005

Vitamin D - the sunshine vitamin!

Vitamin D - the sunshine vitamin! :

"The study found that more than three quarters of older Australian people are vitamin D deficient. As we age the skin's ability to produce vitamin D decreases and we require more exposure to sunlight. Nursing home patients may be affected as they often don't get the opportunity to go outside and get direct sunlight. Without adequate levels of vitamin D, calcium can't be absorbed optimally by your body. Calcium deficiency may lead to brittle bones and even osteoporosis (a condition that weakens the bones to the point of fracture) later in life. Being frail, these elderly people are often at risk of falling and suffering a fractured bone."

Yes, we probably ae becoming Vitamin D deficient because we have all listened to the programmes and information about the damaging effects of the sun . Couple that with the hours we work, and yes, we are avoiding one of the major sources of vitamin D. This artcile is very soen to earth and gives some very practical help so we can realign ourselves. I make sure I garden. It helps my garden, I get exercise and I know I am outside for a while. I never stay out for too long and I always put on the sunscreen. I think we are getting confused. This artcilcle sets us straight.

No comments: