Translate

Sunday, December 18, 2005

Nation bakes in its hottest year

The Australian: Nation bakes in its hottest year :

"'It was as if summer didn't stop,' said climatologist Michael Coughlan of the Bureau of Meteorology's National Climate Centre in Melbourne. 'It was not until we got into June that things turned around and we got some good rain across central Australia.'"

I am not sure what I think except I seem to spend more time in winter clothes than summer clothes. I spend more time feeling too cold rather than too hot. May was a beautiful month and it needed to be because the last three summers have been pretty cool. It gets hot and heats up and then the temperature plummets and it's cold again. I was so glad to get away to the South Pacific because it was the first time in ages I had actually worn summer clothes all the time like I used to here. Things change. I used to put my winter clothes away. Now, like today, I am wearing them in December again. I think the seasons have shifted and we need to recalibrate the year. Everything is starting later. As for winter ...it's wetter and the rain just drenches. It's getting more like Darwin and less like Adelaide because we used to have dry heat and now the heat is humid. Doesn't bother me except we have fewer warmer days. I like hanging out in shorts and tank tops. I have actually done that this year but they have gone away again for the warm pants and the long sleeved tops. When it is hot, it bites. The sun bites. Didn't used to bite. Used to be hot. In my day, we were so tough, we used to make our own weather with a few paperclips, a bit of Clag and some newspaper. These days we have to wait for men to do it.

No comments: