Translate

Saturday, May 02, 2009

The Happy Macbooker

I am getting happier with the MacBook I have to use. I did go into Windows twice this week on it because it dual boots into Windows and for some reason I do not like Windows on the MacBook. I have been more than happy to use it on my other computers. The MacBook has taken time to get to know. Since I have been working with Ubuntu I can see the similarities between the former and UNIX. I have been running the MacBook in French and that is easy to do. Ridiculously easy. Having done that the Mac downloads French versions of apps when it can find them. It just automatically goes there...so my Firefox is French, Thunderbird is, it goes to the French interface of Blogger etc etc. Given I am in an English speaking country and the other apps are in English that is great to keep me multilingual. Fantastic use of technology to support skills development and maintenance. I have sorted out the file stuff, I think. That's what really throws you when you come onto a Mac. The file system seems to convoluted and you have to be quite clear about getting the lists and columns and then it is very straight forward. I still think Windows wins hands down on file management. Then I just love tinkering with Terminal. I have done a few things now, learnt quite a few commands and changed the look of a few things in Terminal. Hate the name.  There has been a lot to get my head around but I get it now and so might make faster progress. I have noticed, like Ubuntu I have had some helpful little apps turn up on my dock...like text editors. I have fixed the stupid green enlarge window button which didn't do a thing. What were they thinking?! There is a free app which fixes that so the window enlarges properly and my other favourite little addition is still DeskCover which I have had to put on the desktop because it won't just stay as a feature. So I have to start it at the beginning of each session. That might be me, who knows?

No comments: