Translate

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Spying and scamming

Car tracker devices 'drive employees over edge' - The Age
"If you've got a salesman and you trust them to go out and do a visit then you want to know that the guy is actually doing his work rather than sitting at the SCG watching cricket all day," he said.

Once you get this kind of tracking on employees then a lot of goodwill  will be lost. I believe in an honest day's work for an honest day's pay and I believe you should treat company things with respect. I also believe you should treat employees with respect. Having your every moved tracked is intimidating, especially if it is out of work. Brings into question the whole thing about company cars. Maybe it's a deterrent for that so employees have to pay for their cars as well. I know you cannot trust everyone but I somehow do not believe spying is the answer. That way of treating people is never going to engender good relationships. If you think you are being ripped off, then sure, take action. If someone proves themselves to be untrustworthy then the second chance comes with tracking added. I just think this is all a bit much because trust is one of the most critical ingredients of a strong bond...so is fair play. Once we lose our capacity to resolve human issues through human interaction I think we shall be lost and no amount of tracking will fix it. Having said that, let them try it. I guarantee there will be a counter play from the employees which is far more efffective and a lesson in people skills. Humans can be wonderfully resourceful.

No comments: