Translate

Sunday, January 01, 2006

Diggers dodge celebratory bullets

The Advertiser: Diggers dodge celebratory bullets :

"According to the defence department, many Baghdad residents, in keeping with tradition, fired their weapons into the air to usher in the new year, sending thousands of bullets into the sky above the city."

I didn't realise it was a custom to shoot weapons to ring in the New Year in Baghdad, but I suppose it is fitting. What else would they use? In a funny kind of a way it seems appropriate and a good sign the bullets were being shot into the air and our soldiers had to dodge bullets because people were celebrating. The people in Baghdad are resilient , if nothing else. I wish them a Happy New Year and I hope our troops will be able to leave the place and we can watch pictures of it being rebuilt and hear about how things are being changed for the better. So may lives have been lost and we keep forgetting all those who died in the initial bombing raids. I want to see pictures of all that dust and rubble being changed into a dynamic place for people to live. I am full of wishes today.

No comments: