Translate

Monday, November 15, 2004

It's a weird world

I seem to live in a state of perpetual confusion about humanity at the moment. I was tickled pink when I fell upon the site where the Kerry voters had put up their photos and sorry messages. It made me feel like there are 49% who feel like me. I went to the polls and the next day got up and Howard was still there. Four terms. And he has put us into an illegal war where we are killing people we don't even know and we didn't know where they were and why they were suddenly a threat. I don't know about you, but when I feel threatened I know who is scaring me and where they are and why. Seems to me there won't be too many Iraqis left at this rate. Where are their candles and memorial services? Doesn't it matter so many have been hurt and killed? Baghdad. I grew up on stories of Baghdad. Ali Baba and the forty thieves, the Arabian Nights. I loved the pictures of the mosques with their big bubble tops, the idea of Kailiffs and Sultans and genies and exotic women with dark expressive eyes. The colours, the clothes. To me , as stereotypical as it was, in my childhood it was the stuff of great dreams. Baghdad was about achieving the impossible. The big clay pots to hide in. The exotic languages spoken. It was arguably one of the most influential places created in my mind by all the richness of its culture distilled through my own. Magic carpets. Harem pants. It meant strength, imagination, limitlessness. I look at it exploding and the rubble, the blood, the hell. What have we done? Given we have cruise missiles which can turn left and right at street corners and whoosh past windows as a silver streak...why didn't we put one into Saddam Hussein, if that were so important? I wonder how the people of Baghdad are enjoying their liberation.So to see 49% of Americans get on the Net and show their faces with a lovely note, made me feel so much relief. I don't feel alone and I know we have all tried and voting just doesn't work anymore. At least we haven't run out of ideas...we are becoming quite clever at overcoming the negative military methods. I couldn't believe it when I heard some politician laughing at the notion of negotiating. Like talking to people is all wrong. Well, I am so glad I have the Net and can see all these blogs. We speak as we feel. We share our thoughts. People are old enough and intelligent enough to decide whether they agree or disagree with us. That's what I like. As for threats...there are better ways of doing it than carpeting childrens heads with bombs in a country whose citizens were no threat to me and it has been proven to be that way. Violence begets violence. Why does that come as a surprise? What would you do if someone blew up your street, your city, your family, your hospital, your children? At the turn of the millennium we celebrated our oneness and our difference. It felt good to watch all the countries welcome the millennium in their own way. We were all together in that. We are together on the blogosphere. We do and can connect. May we never stop trying.

No comments: