Translate

Thursday, July 09, 2009

Home Birth

"Doctors cannot always rescue mothers and babies from emergency situations when retrieval from home has cost valuable and potentially life-saving minutes."
We have more babies living because we do not give birth at home. It has cut the infant and maternal mortality rate. Hospitals are not the best place to give birth in my opinion. I certainly didn't find them conducive to a positive birth experience...but the bottom line is they have the facilities, they have the equipment and they are in control of procedures. My friend lost a grand child to home birth. The hospital intervention was too far away and too late. It wasn't that the couple hadn't properly prepared., they had...but things can and do go wrong. It was traumatic for all and the hospital was just plain wonderful under the circumstances. So kind and helpful. By the same token ,I was a home birth and it was thanks to a brilliant midwife I can blog to you all. She saved my life. It would be good to have a fresh look at giving birth to try and build in the best of both worlds.

No comments: