Translate

Saturday, August 16, 2008

Facebook takes over MySpace's world

Facebook takes over MySpace's world : "'By increasing the site's relevance to local markets through local language interface translation, the site is now competing strongly or even capturing the lead in several markets where it had a relatively minor presence just a year ago.'"

MySpace is very gluey to all accounts. Even kids are finding it a swamp, but it still serves a purpose for some people. I'm into my 3rd week on Facebook and I cannot believe how quickly it picks up contacts for you...people you have lost contact with over the years. It's a nice feeling and Facebook has a happy feel about it. I am looking for a blog app which can do a bit better than 140 characters! Can you imagine me blogging in 140 characters??? That's a sentence and a short one at that. Facebook does rely on short, sharp and shiny though and it's how it maximises contact...and makes it very efficient. I practically don't email now.I am looking for some more grown up apps. It's more about what they think will appeal to young people and it's very limited and limiting like that. It could be so much better with a bit of thought and coding. I haven't found a good book app either....not sure if that is because I run Firefox. I am waiting for Facebook to grow up and maybe get some choices in for different age groups and levels of interest. Not everyone is frothy and daft...but the apps I have I am more than happy with and look forward to a decent news feed. I can see what they are trying to do by keeping it lightweight but this is where some better planning and coding needs to come into play because it is hugely useful. I think it's coming of age. As strange as I found it at first I have to confess now it has fantastic potential to revolutionise how we make contact and how we work with online groups.

No comments: