Translate

Friday, August 15, 2008

Attendance

Attendance: "# Students need to attend school regularly to reach their full learning potential
# Poor attendance makes it difficult for children to connect with their friends and develop socially
# There is a direct link between school attendance and achievement later in life
# Poor patterns of attendance can become a habit which is very difficult to change
# When young people are in school every day they are less likely be involved in harmful situations"

I can find stuff for Victoria and NSW who seem to have clear expectations...but we had a lot of kids who looked like they should have been at school out and about today. I know we have been sick. I know we have suffered in this cold, but kids need to be at school. If we don't have that as a priority we are going to be fat and uneducated. That'll help.Is it why there is a big drift to private schools? Do they track attendance better? I see it as a parental thing. I would have felt responsible had my children not been at school. I was the one with this expectation. NSW seems to have state policy which can underline and assist that parental expectation. What about our other states?

Mind you...maybe the kids are not at school so they can watch the Olympics. They do not happen very often. They are special and they are holding important finals during the day when we are working. On top of that they have awarded the Olympic coverage to a channel which is committed to football coverage. How silly. So, when I could be watching the Olympics because I have been working all day they have got the football on. Good way to sabotage viewing involvement.2008 has seriously lost it.

No comments: