Translate

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Vista

While I have been busy doing awful, I have seen the world with new eyes and I have had to use my computer differently . In the middle of the chaos I lost my CD/DVD player on my Vista desktop. Just vanished. Nowhere to be found in My Computer and a big yellow exclamation mark in Device Manager. I had little time to try and solve it. I did what I could to no avail. The first time I went on the support site for Microsoft I found nothing. This week I found the very thing and bingo my CD/DVD player is back in business and playing the Choir of Hard Knocks. I also lost my internet connection but that seemed to be par for the course in Adelaide at the beginning of November and until after the election. It was weird. Computers were playing up everywhere. I resurrected my connection using a wireless adapter. Daft, but still, it actually is a better connection than through the modem. Vista on my laptop has never ever been a problem. Vista on my desktop gets a bit bonkers every so often and seems to be a bit tantrummy. I think it is much misunderstood. Everything about Vista is there to help you. I have had all sorts of support but not necessarily in the way I thought! It tries to work with you but is very controlling and security conscious. It also tends to drive you to paid products...but you decide if you buy or not! I have bought Registry Mechanic because it's a good programme and I bought the Office 2007 Professional suite because it is great to work with and everything I have produced using it has had compliments. Makes me look so good!! Even though Vista on my desktop can be annoying I have to admit it's got some great features and has taught me a lot....like how to find a lost CD! The search function is brilliant and will turn up your file in 2 seconds. I think you need to be patient with it and work out what it is trying to do. It has solved all my problems and worked with old software, an old printer, an old mouse, a less than state of the art modem. I haven't found the comments about it forcing you to upgrade at all true. I am running a gardening programme I had loaded under Windows 3.11, lots of 95 and ME programmes and I have had no problems. Just my phone cable and that was fixed by support in a couple of hours. Vista is dead easy on my laptop and a bit of a challenge on my desktop...but I like a challenge. I learn a lot.

No comments: