Translate

Saturday, September 15, 2007

Windows Vista

Vista has been driving me bonkers. Well, slight exaggeration. It’s been getting on my goat, really. Don’t get me wrong. It has a very smooth interface, some good features and is generally quite helpful, but it is such a control freak and it doesn’t suit all my needs. It’s such a relief to go back to XP at times just so I can get things done. Not to be thwarted I went out and bought two Vista magazines. The British and Australian versions of the Windows Vista magazine. I got some great tips ,not the least of which is the Power Defragmenter. The Vista defragmenter is slow. It’s meant to be because it quietly runs in the background and doesn’t want to disturb you. Well, that’s for people who do not like to watch the defrag!! I like seeing what it is doing. I always have. The Power Defragmenter just runs through text line after text line and takes a while the first time you do it…I even went and had a shower and came back….made a pot of tea… The magazine warned me of that. So it pays to take time and read up a bit on Vista. I also spoke to my brother who doesn’t like the controlling aspect of Vista either, but he has sold me on Office 2007. He just raved about it and was so impressed he could reel off all the applications and features without taking a breath. I feel better now. I guess it’s like putting on new shoes. You have to wear them in and use band aids in the meantime!

No comments: