Translate

Sunday, September 16, 2007

Stroke victims turn to friends before triple-0

Stroke victims turn to friends before triple-0: "She urges victims to test themselves for stroke symptoms including facial and arm weaknesses and speech difficulties, and to call an ambulance as soon as possible."

It doesn't surprise me. They would want reassurance, they would want to talk to someone they loved if they were thinking this was too serious to be even contemplated. It's all the human comfort stuff. It's a hard thing to fight. I know when my Mum was sliding into a coma at home and I was pretty sure of that my instinct was to ring my sister just so I could talk to someone who would give me some strength. I overrode that and rang the ambulance first and I am glad I did because they were very reassuring and gave me practical things to do which kept her alive and kept me managing. I think we need to gently remind people how to do this so that they get the urgent help they need because it's true, time is everything.

No comments: