Translate

Sunday, December 03, 2006

'Pom' used out of love, says word boffin

AdelaideNow... 'Pom' used out of love, says word boffin:

"Some British expatriates living in Australia, calling themselves British People Against Racial Discrimination, have launched legal action to be rid of the word 'Pom' in advertising on the basis that it is a derogatory term."

Quite frankly, it's about how you have had to live with it. I have been here most of my life but come from England. I hate that P word with a vengeance and I do not like how it is used here at all. All other slang words we have had to denote ethnic origins have disappeared and I am so glad they have because it was a real step forward for Australians. The P word is both unnecessary and from our previous existence. We have moved on. When I have lived here most of my life, married here, studied here, buried my parents here , given birth here and worked for this country, I deeply resent any sentence which starts, "You P...." when I am Australian. It is used to disempower people and point score.If people are taking legal action, I understand why because when it happens it is decidedly stupid and ill bred. The only way these days to be heard is to go to court and that says something in itself. I cannot abide the word.

No comments: