Translate

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Vietnam a just war, says PM

Vietnam a just war, says PM :

"'In public life you take a position, and I think particularly of the positions I've taken in the time I've been Prime Minister. I have to live with the consequences of those both now and into the future.'"

I don't think so. A prime minister or head of state represents the country, so the people of that country become responsible for the decisions made and the people of the country have to wear the burden of that. Inspite of living here just about all my life there are times where I have been accused of carrying the responsibility of Margaret Thatcher's odd decision making...because I have an English accent. As Australians we are put in the position of explaining any decision our government makes or has made. Vietnam was never declared a war and therein lies the rub, because we had lotto conscription and He was only 19 sums it all up. We changed the vote to 18 because of Vietnam. We thought it was wrong. We did not agree with it.The trouble is , people think that reframing the picture will make the picture different.

No comments: