Translate

Monday, May 30, 2005

Travelling technology

Qantas okays mobile phone use for landed planes.:

"Qantas passengers will be now be able to make phone calls from their mobile phones on domestic flights once their plane has landed."

As I travelled around it was fantastic to be away from all the technology for a while. I had some great conversations with people on the planes because we weren't plugged in, but we did need to make our contacts as we got off planes. We were enjoying each other's company because our paths had crossed for a while. In all my travels I was the only one I met from SA. All the other Australians were from Brisbane or Sydney. We were discussing everything from our past and present travelling experiences, our new adventures to the news ,politics,art,languages and history. It was really absorbing and gratifying to find us all chatting and we were all the better for it. As the only Adelaidian I was pleased to discover they all had fond memories of Adeliade. They had liked the slower , more civilised lifestyle. They had enjoyed the pick'n'mix opportunities we had here where a way of life or a way of being a tourist wasn't foisted upon you but there was a whole smogasbord of choices. They had all enthusiastically remembered the food and wine but all seemed to talk about the Barossa Valley rather than McLaren Vale. So I did my bit to plug the southern vales and I could see their faces light up...another trip to Adelaide was in their minds. Good! I found by talking to these people they felt they had lost the better aspects of their cities because they had grown too big and too impersonal. They were talking about dirty trains, the rush and hustle and rude, unhelpful taxi drivers. Not one of them was going to grab a taxi from the airport. They had all organised a lift or were going to choose public transport. It made me feel very grateful for Adelaide...but then I knew that, because I live here. We don't have the bright lights and the big city. We don't have tinsel town and neon nirvana...but we do have a lot of lifestyle choices...and more food outlets per capita than any other Australian city!!

No comments: