Translate

Monday, May 15, 2006

Belle du Seigneur


At 1110 pages, Belle du Seigneur is not for the faint hearted reader. Albert Cohen has such a wonderful way with words, thought, perspective, emotions, observations and characterisations. It is such a comprehensive novel and I have been entranced since March reading it. It didn't worry me I had to take so long reading it because I do not have a lot of time for reading and it was a marathon. Its mood changes. It can be very lyrical, exceedingly hilarious, very intellectual, very down to earth, extremely esoteric and then very normal. It's just so clever and a real reading feast. He brings it all to the most moving conclusion and in the meantime you have learned a lot about people, love, life, politics, living. The characterisations are painted in great detail and for me that was the ultimate pleasure...that and how it unfolded so carefully, so unusually and yet with such power. I give you the two reviews, in French and English, on Amazon because it is truly worth the effort and has now become the best book I have ever read.

Amazon.fr


Amazon.ca (English)

No comments: