Translate

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Drug test kits

7news stories:

"It will take just seven minutes and cost less than $25 for parents to test their children for illicit drugs when a Perth company releases its new saliva test in pharmacies in May."

So how will you get a 15 year old to give you some saliva so you can test it??? I cannot see this working. I have known parents to get medical help with testing when their son/daughter has had another ailment and as far as I can tell that early medical intervention has been really helpful and has worked even though the child was initially upset about being "conned". The interview between child and doctor has not necessarily included the parent. That has been negotiated. It has saved a lot of expense and heartbreak down the track. I cannot see a home testing kit working. I am sure it'll all blow out of control and I still can't see how you could do it if the child were to be reluctant. A parent has a duty of care and a will to care, but I think you leave some issues to professionals. It is a really tough thing to go through as a parent. They need help and support, but this kit? Maybe someone who's seen it work can speak up!

No comments: