Translate

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

You vill be happy: Germans -

You vill be happy: Germans :

"'Mood is an important factor in productivity and everyone here works hard and is happy.'"

Mood is an important factor and a cranky, tetchy person can put the work place on edge. You only have to have someone in a bad mood and when other are required to skirt around them gingerly, it increases that's person's power. It doesn't mean you cannot express your unhappiness or dissatisfaction. It's how you do it. People are people and have a range of moods. A workplace which allows for stability but can manage the moods of people when they are being human is the aim I think. I am surprised this has been written into contracts. I think you can require people to be civil and pleasant as a matter of course. I think you can require people to respect others. You still have to allow for the odd fall from grace. I guess the company is saying it shouldn't be your daily stance to be in a grumpy or foul mood. I am surprised to hear this is occurring in Germany. All the Germans I have worked with have been hugely productive, level headed, innovative, determined...and a lot of laughs. Maybe that's just the Germans I have happened to meet...but still, I do not think of Germans as grumpy. I think of them as being very community minded and very personable.

No comments: