Translate

Monday, November 07, 2005

New trend towards smaller house sizes

The Advertiser: New trend towards smaller house sizes :

"In the 2004-05 financial year, the average floor area for new houses approved in SA was 201.2sq m, according to Australian Bureau of Statistics data published in a Building Industry Prospects report by forecaster BIS Shrapnel. This was down 2.8 per cent from the previous financial year - the country's biggest fall."

I guess I am different because I have always had a smaller home compared with my peers. I have never seen the point of having a big home unless you have a big lifestyle where you entertain a lot. Many people buy a big home and then find it empty when the kdis grow up. Some of the new houses are big houses on small blocks so there is nowhere for kids to play, ride bikes, have a bit of a basket ball or cricket game out the back. Maybe the big homes house all the things in a materialistic society, but they are not easy to maintain and they don't help people stay active. Some people then harness themselves into living beyond their means or having huge mortgages to worry about. It's been too much of a focus on the postcode and size of the home. If people are coming to their senses, then good. I have a bigger garden than a lot of people, but I like it that way. Real trees, plants, room for pets and creatures! It's also about living together rather than living apart in the same home. I am all for smaller homes!!

No comments: