Translate

Saturday, March 05, 2005

Speeders push their luck past the limit

The Advertiser: Speeders push their luck past the limit [05mar05]:

"However, police were still concerned about drivers' behaviour in 50km/h zones, with more than 72,000 fined for speeding last year. About 55 per cent of fines in 50km/h zones were issued to people travelling at up to 64km/h, while a further 36 per cent related to speeds of between 65 and 79km/h."

Tell me about it. This is something we have talked about a lot this week. Young kids have always driven madly right back to the 50s. What we have now, though ,is a complete change because main Adelaide roads were quiet and the cars were driving sensibly. On main roads you have cars coming in on your tail and then swinging out and roaring past. This is even when you are doing the speed limit. There are drags on straight stretches and 50K zones are a free for all.I love driving home in the pool of exhaust spweing from some car or another. In the morning at seven they start as people go to work and then you get it from 6pm at night. The bikes and cars are just so loud. The cross the road about and that's it. VAROOOOOOOOOOM. We have little kids on this street. But it's not just my street. Apart from the damage done to my garden and my neighbour's house I blogged about earlier, there are the sickening metal thuds and you know someone's been killed or badly injured. If we have had fewer deaths, I'm amazed. I haven't heard so many thuds in 10 years around here. On the way to work I noticed car tyre tracks wiggling across the freeway and into the kerb. The car may well have gone onto the other side of the freeway. We may have speed limits. No one is taking any notice. The opposite, in fact. Why is that? I heard cars had been clocked at 170 K going down the Main North Road. That is built up now, has traffic lights, lots of traffic. Who cares? Speed kills, doncha know?

No comments: