Translate

Sunday, July 19, 2009

Ubuntu 9.04

I have just loaded the new Ubuntu from the PC User mag disc this month. It looks a lot slicker but has that uncluttered feel. Ubuntu is just so light and breezy. I am trying the new one out on my old laptop as I have with 8.04. So far I have had no problems with either version. The problems I have come from using my old laptop which runs hot! It is a good way to get to know Ubuntu ,though, and once I have finished my investigations I shall probably be quite happy to let go of XP on this laptop and branch out further into Linux! I have run into trouble though with space...because the new install didn't remove 8.04 or go over the top of it. I cannot remove XP yet ...and that is another story...a nasty one. I need XP on that laptop for work for a while. Once I have done with that I think I'll just load 9.04 on the laptop full stop end of story. It is telling me to clean the files but I couldn't easily locate the programmes...because it is security conscious and not just anyone can go on your computer and use it. I like that about Linux. If you are an authorized user there is no problem whatsoever. I just need a bit of time to get my head around some of this. I like Ubuntu a lot because it is just so light. You don't feel like you are driving a big kenworth. You feel like you're in a zippy little roadster. Nothing like discovery learning. I have to get to the stage where I can run that old laptop just on one version of Linux...so I'll work on that. Once I have mastered it I shall feel confident dual booting form a newer laptop and it will be heaven...choices!!!

No comments: