Translate

Monday, July 13, 2009

Bring on the risotto

Cold and wet. Wet and cold and one of the best meals to cook, which is nutritious and cheap ,is risotto! I cannot believe I took so long to eat a risotto , let alone cook one, but I am an addict now and just love my risotto. I wish I had known about them in the cash strapped days of a big mortgage with high interest. I tried my first one with some flat head at a local pub this year. Just brilliant. My sister then made me one. Delicious...so then I googled, as you do, and came up with what I thought was the best of all the risotto ideas. The one I make which is a big hit is chicken, bacon, mushroom and sundried tomato with a hint of mint...and onion and garlic! I have made it with my own vegetable stock and with shop bought chicken stock. Both a great. Big handful of parmesan in the last couple of minutes! These Italian mamas have it all sussed though. A risotto is the best meal I know of to get yourself out of chores. Can you answer the phone, I am stirring the risotto. Oh can you just get all the dirty washing in the wash...I can't leave the risotto. Oh sorry, can't help you, gotta stir the risotto! I love all the stirring. On a cold day it is homely and soothing. It smells delicious and it is substantial and nutritious. I stir mine in my big cast iron wok which is perfect for the job. I have no idea how I lived without them!

No comments: