Translate

Friday, April 18, 2008

Recycling rubbish may do more harm than good

Recycling rubbish may do more harm than good: "'There's water, waste avoidance, greenhouse gas emissions, photo-chemicals, smog. You can calculate if you are going to be better off by going to a recycling system,' he said."

Now they tell us!! make up your minds. We are out here recycling like mad and we have goodness knows how many bins doing the right thing and now you say it might not be worthwhile? So why have European countries been doing this a lot longer than us? I cannot believe it is not a good thing because a lot of businesses have been built on recycling products. I do believe we can do better in keeping the materials cleaner before we recycle. I have automatically cleaned things before I recycle them and I do wash them after my dishes as it suggested in the article. My sister, by contrast, just puts the stuff in her recycle bin. That's a matter of getting the ideas and information out to us. So many products are being made form recycled materials. It has to be helping. Don't tell me it's not!!I don't want to know! I accept we can make it more efficient and make some changes, but I'd say it has to be better for us and the planet. As for e-waste. I am still waiting for someone to bite the bullet on that one and get a manageable, accessible, routine e-waste recycling programme into place because the monitors and printers are just piling up around people's homes and we still do not have an easy way of safely disposing of them. My current plan is to get all the family stuff relocated to one person's home and we'll try and get it shifted somehow from the one spot. We all have bits and pieces taking up space.

No comments: