Translate

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Nation's empty bedrooms

Nation's empty bedrooms a telling tale of our lives : "Figures from the Bureau of Statistics reveal that in 2003-04, 77 per cent of households had one or more spare bedrooms and 97 per cent of couple-only households had one or more unoccupied. At least 85 per cent of solo dwellers also had spare bedrooms."

I was thinking as I drove to work we all seem to live in big houses and houses which are probably too big. I was thinking this is why we have a housing shortage for people who wish to live more modestly. It seems we cannot do modest. It would ease the rental crisis and the homebuyer crisis if we could create housing which wasn't such a status symbol. It's not as if we do not have parks, gardens and open areas where people can relax and play. Now I have seem the statistics it's made me really think. I have a spare bedroom which was used a lot until my mother died and children grew up. It still operates as a spare bedroom but less frequently. I have set it up for sewing and keep it tidy "incase". It's a civilised room. We do not seem to do the "ledger" accommodation here either and if we do it often runs amok. We need to revamp our thinking about accommodation, that's for sure.

No comments: