Translate

Saturday, July 21, 2007

Beyond Mombasa

While everyone else has been waiting to lose themselves in spellbinding Potterworld...I have been lost in Africa again. Frank Coates is an Australian author whom I have decided I really like. I cannot wait for his next book to come out. I read his first book The Tears of the Maasai and blogged about that over summer. That was a very moving story. Beyond Mombasa is different. It is set in the 1800s and looks at the British building a major train line through the demanding African countryside and the cost to locals, immigrants, the train line workers. It's about the country, the times, systems and bureaucracies and then about pioneering and the profound impact major change has on those involved. I didn't find it as gripping as the first but it is based on a true story, so I found it a compelling and informative read. He knows how to keep you absorbed and he knows how to teach you as his tale unfolds. I really did enjoy it.

No comments: