Translate

Monday, April 09, 2007

Drivers brace for long delays

Drivers brace for long delays: "MAJOR works on the $31 million King William St/North Tce tramline began yesterday with the road ripped up and track laying beginning."

It is driving people crazy and they are being put out, but most are managing the upheaval quite well. The hardest hit will be businesses, hotels and people in the immediate area and the commuters on the Noarlunga and Belair trainlines...that is actually a lot of people. By September we shall probably all be pretty happy with our new tram line. I guess it's a matter of keeping people clearly and frequently informed so they can adjust to the noise, the delays , the detours and the general inconvenience of road reconstruction. I had to commute the whole time the Southern Expressway was being built. In many respects it was a wonder to behold and I learnt a lot about how we manage such feats. At times it was just noise and dust, but then you'd see things take shape and watch different equipment being used. Kept me entertained for months and my car nice and dirty!! The best bit was the ute that slid off the top of a massive mound of dirt. Massive...and I drove home to see the ute tail up at the bottom. I have often wondered what happened to the driver.

No comments: