Translate

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Newspaper great Des Colquhoun dies

The Advertiser: Newspaper great Des Colquhoun dies :

"ONE of Adelaide's outstanding journalists, Des Colquhoun, died quietly in his sleep early yesterday, aged 75."

I am going to have to add my thoughts to a very long list of others who will sadly miss Des Colquhoun. It is so sad that he died but I am relieved to discover he was released from his job of bringing us hours and hours of fine reading in a peaceful way. I always read his columns. He was interesting, quietly provocative, heartwarming and someone with a social conscience. I have spent hours of my life being moved by the writing of this man and was very sad when he could no longer provide a regular column. He has had a significant impact on our social fabric by being an inspirational, well informed, competent writer who looked at life in his own unique way, but in a way which would make us so much the better for his having shared his thoughts and views with us. A master craftman of the pen...and word processor. We shall miss him.

No comments: