Translate

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Viruses may be the new batteries

News Viruses may be the new batteries :

"To make the viruses work like conducting wires, the scientists genetically altered the organisms so that proteins on their surfaces would be attracted to metal particles, including cobalt and gold.

Four different solutions went into the battery component: a negatively charged polymer, a positively charged polymer, negatively charged viruses, and charged particles, or ions, of cobalt."

Growing batteries in a fermenter? Batteries made of viruses which will last as long as normal batteries? Apart from the fact it is hugely clever and I am extremely impressed, is it safe? Do I want a virus in my watch? Do I want my mobile to run on a virus? I cannot get my head around this. I thought viruses were bad. They will be light weight. Will they be safe and disposable. If they are organic will they just decompose?

No comments: