Translate

Sunday, April 09, 2006

RFID Tags

BBC NEWS | Programmes | Click | Alarm over shopping radio tags:
"Former Australian privacy commissioner Malcolm Crompton says: 'If done wrongly, it really is possible that I can buy things in one shop and be tracked in another shop, that the data, once collected, stays there for someone to come in and collect and use under circumstances that I don't know about or that I don't approve of.

'I think that is when society is on a slippery slope.'"

The new RFID tags will replace the bar codes and therefore the goods are traceable and "people", whoever they are, can collect information and true enough, they could track all sorts of things with the wifi tagging. If nothing else, they can be sure their goods are not misappropriated and that they can locate them if they are stolen. That's fair enough. What about the secret little tag chirping away in our rubbish bins? I am certain if they can be tracked, they can be untracked too. I do not feel paranoid about it yet!! I believe big business has to protect itself from theft. The other data they can and will collect will become more evident as they are in use...THEN we can see what's going on.

No comments: