Translate

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Australus

New name cooked up for kangaroo steaks:

"SYDNEY (AFP) - Australians could soon be chucking a piece of 'australus' on the barbecue if the new name for a slice of kangaroo makes it more appealing to diners sensitive about eating the national symbol."

We call it Roo meat and many of us feed it to our dogs. Kangaroo meat tastes loely and is a healthier option than steak. I can't imagine ordering or buying 'australus'. It's true, lots of us think of the kangaroo as our emblem and so tend not to eat it, but we also don't think of it as human food. For people with heart and cholesterol problems it's a viable alternative to other meat. I like it, but I don't think to buy it. I buy steak. Old habits die hard. I am happy to eat it or order it when I am out. Part of the problem is children here regard kangaroos very kindly and so to serve them at dinner wouldn't be a good idea. Nor is serving up an option when they are in our wild life parks. Maybe they need to be looked upon as game.

No comments: