Translate

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Ghan maintains double services

The Advertiser: Ghan maintains double services:

"Adelaide-based operator Great Southern Railway has had strong demand for the Ghan's 2979km cross-continent journey since the Darwin line opened in February last year. It has been running one train a week to and from Darwin but doubled that to two a week each way in the peak demand months of May, June and July this year."

I have just had overseas friends make the trip on the Ghan and one day I shall. I have dreamt about it and was so excited when they opened up the line again. Two trains a week would be great. People from overseas come back raving about the Top End and love Kakadu and the Catherine Gorge. One day...I shall be on the Ghan. We need to develop more train lines and train trips. These visitors couldn't believe how cheap it was, but they couldn't believe how slow it was either! I tried to explain the Ghan is about taking in the country and the wide open spaces...I wasted my breath. They wanted to be there. Different headset. When I said...but Australia is about slowing down and taking it all in...appreciating the land and the colours...they sort of got it! I tried.

No comments: