Translate

Sunday, July 17, 2005

Beat those exercise excuses

Beat those exercise excuses - Features - Health Matters:

"If you've been inactive for a while, don't assume you're past it. Even if you think you're too old, too unfit, too overweight, or too disabled, you might be surprised at how invalid many of your assumptions really are."

I have learnt over the years about keeping myself in a reasonably good state of health and moving and mobility are everything. Unlike so many Australians I am not an exercise junkie and I am not sporty. Sport and me just do not go together. I do keep fit though and I have found if I just build exercise into my lifestyle , it works for me. Most women don't mow lawns. I used to be someone who thought men mowed lawns. I got hold of the lawn mower one day and I haven't looked back. Zooming around my lawn is massive fun, gives me a great sense of satisfaction and burns up those calories! I also find I have to get up and walk around at work. It is very easy to be tied to the desk. I now build into my day a walking stint which involves seeing people (instead of emailing or phoning) , sorting things out, whatever I can do on the move. I am lucky to be in a big building so I can walk around and go up and down stairs. It breaks the tedium, stops me from being sedentary and I build some good relationships. People are used to it now and even they get up and move around. I am still working and achieve quite a bit on my wanders. The aim is to keep moving. But I also have found I am a bit odd because I will do things manually things which people use gadgets for or hire someone to do. I plan what I am going to do so I don't exhaust myself. The last change I made in my life was to never use a car when I was on holidays. I use public transport wherever I go to, but I walk and walk and walk all over the new places. I find so much, I get to talk and meet people and I always come home healthier. It annoys me I can't safely walk in my own neighbourhood because people attack people around here. I have walked around and walkers often go out at a particular time of day, but in a work life, that doesn't suit me. We have created too many activities which involve sitting. Even when I go to town I catch the train and then walk. As potty as people think I am , they all admit I'm pretty healthy. Moving is everything. I build into that the stretches from yoga exercises and anything else I feel like. If competition works for you , go for it. If not, think about how you can put some movement into daily living. The one thing I noticed about Port Vila was they were all out walking. It wasn't a society dependent upon cars so there was a lot of walking and it was normal. We need to build areas and lifestyles where we can walk. Like everyone who lives near Lake Weeroona in Bendigo is out there walking and it's great.

No comments: