Translate

Friday, February 25, 2005

Revenge of the Blog People!

Library Journal - Revenge of the Blog People!:

"It is obvious that the Blog People read what they want to read rather than what is in front of them and judge me to be wrong on the basis of what they think rather than what I actually wrote. Given the quality of the writing in the blogs I have seen, I doubt that many of the Blog People are in the habit of sustained reading of complex texts. It is entirely possible that their intellectual needs are met by an accumulation of random facts and paragraphs. In that case, their rejection of my view is quite understandable."

Michael Gorman needs to get a blog and run it. He will soon learn. To assume bloggers will reject his views for his reasons is a rather narrow approach to the whole blogosphere. It's rather like parenting and pregnancy. You can't be a bit pregnant but you can be a bit parent. My point? Blogging can be better understood as a blogger not as a reader of blogs. The blogosphere is far more complex,comprehensive and distinct than I had ever imagined as a non blogger and mere reader of blogs. As a reader, you can get a bit of a feel, as you do when you're a bit parent. You need to get right into the middle of it and be an active participant before you make sweeping generalisations. I have seen blogs and the blogosphere maligned and it surprises me. I've been blogging for the opposite reasons they have been criticised . I find I blog because I can extend my knowledge, my perceptions, my views and my ideas. It's the one place where I can have extended thoughts if I wish.You also become subject to peer scrutiny and that keeps you on your toes and honest! Elsewhere people are too busy and the compulsory 3 sentence exchange rates as "discussion." Or people make decisions on no facts at all and you are bound by them but cannot question them because there is no opportunity to discuss the process and strategies. The blogs I read discuss things at great depth and other contributers add additional views and perspectives. I started reading blogs because the one run by the Vietnam Vets was the only thing I could find which discussed the situation in Iraq in a frank, detailed and considered way. These were people who had military experience, education, understood what it might mean for the soldiers going in and the citizens in Iraq. These were people who could argue a strong, detailed case or know how to show you salient articles and information. It went from there. May he blog in peace.

No comments: