Translate

Saturday, August 01, 2009

Linux

Well yes, now I have 9.04 running on my old laptop as an OS in its own right and not as a boot choice, I feel I have made some prgress. Even though some Linux users think Ubuntu is a cop out for pretend Linux users only, it doesn't worry me. I like to get in touch with my inner geek and I just know I have the right to discover things in my own way in my own time and that I will learn a lot this way. Ubuntu has put on a lot of updates and I was laughing because it's like Vista in that respect ! What I have noticed is it customises the downloads to suit me and my machine. It's intuitive in that sense. Then I can go and look for apps for myself...but after a download there are always suitable suggestions and I appreciate that. I found KATE. Couldn't believe it. Speaking of inner geeks, I used to run my computer on DOS and was nice and angy when Microsoft took that option away. Vista has been kind enough to restore that possibility to me but not 100 %. That's why I like Ubuntu and my MacBook. I can use text based computing. I like it. I don't have to have pictures and pop ups to enjoy my computer and in lots of ways I like text. What thrilled me to bits was when I went to the stationery shop yesterday to get my computing mags...there were choices for Apple and Linux and there was also a Linux pack which would help people understand it. It will not take people away from Microsoft I do not think...they will become bi-OS and that's good because the OSs seem to suit different hardware requirements and configurations. KATE was a programme I used to use in DOS which did everything...way ahead of its time . It was an office suite and a PIM and had other functions. Haven't looked at my new KATE yet. I also noticed a Slackware distro on my Linux disk. Those sorts of text based things will not suit most people. We are a visual world...but I think I might give it a whirl. There are times when you need to keep it simple, heh! The magazine article says I'll learn Linux if I use Slackware. I like learning! You see the more I learn and know, the more I can adapt and use OSs. If I can only learn to use , say, Word or iTunes, than I am not going to be keen to roam around other new things. Technology has to encourage us to explore and find out. Ubuntu was the one that let me get into Linux...I haven't given up Apple or Windows....I am using them better. We need to be bi or multi OS.

No comments: