Translate

Monday, May 11, 2009

Jury Duty

"I do know I have the right to due process and a speedy trial," he said. "I've had neither. It's not right."
This man in the USA was gaoled for 83 days for not doing his jury duty. What are the penalties here? I know we have to have random composition for juries to try and ensure lack of bias. I remember my Mum was called for jury duty when she was in her 60s. She was frightened at first and then it turned out really well because she became very interested in the process and what was going on. My Mum, though, might well have followed through on her fear and just not gone. Would she have been put in gaol? A grandma. A lady who was in the Army and who had been a mother and then grandmother? I realise we are caught because unless there were serious consequences a lot of people would not do jury duty and then the preservation of justice would be at risk. But gaol? For nearly 3 months? No rights? No recourse? No options? At least when we had conscription we had the possibilty of conscientious objection. They cannot undo that man's time in gaol and that is awful. If he is just a normal citizen like my Mum was...it is awful.

No comments: