Translate

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Up and runnning on Ubuntu

It's been a good experience not to be on Ubuntu since Saturday. I have been frozen with the weather change and my laptop running Ubuntu is not on the ethernet by the fire....I have been huddling! Today is a bit milder and so I was anxious to get back onto Ubuntu. That says something. I have been battling Apple at work and it really has been annoying me how limited it is.Most of us are a bit cranky because we are so used to Windows stuff and much of what we run is Windows based. We are finding alternatives but they do not seem to be as flexible. For image and music the Apple is fantastic. At home I have been fighting with Vista. It takes too long to load and then it has been sludgy and some of that is scripting errors on Facebook and some of it is who knows what because the screen whites over, the computer trawls through files and I sit there like a pillock with all this fancy equipment waiting for it to get a move on. Even the Dell which has been a dream machine has been slow. Surely the computers aren't affected by the sudden cold and wet? So now I  am on Ubuntu. It started up, I logged on (I love that...this is MY computer) I had updates, a little information message to read. It just went on the Net. I am working on getting the codecs together. TV5 played okay but the picture isn't crystal clear. France 2 had a beautiful picture for its car video before the news. The picture was superb...then Ubuntu went and found me lots of codecs but I got the first image of the news and that was that. I know with things like this it just takes a little while even on Windows to sort the issues out. I am patient. But Ubuntu is so polite and so easy to get along with. It tells you about things. It asks you about things. It doesn't just push you into stuff...nor does it take over YOUR computer. So yoo-hoo from Ubuntu again!

No comments: