Translate

Thursday, November 06, 2008

Amputation of healthy limbs

"I realise that the idea strikes almost everyone as lunatic when they first hear it. However, there are a small number of people who see themselves, and have always seen themselves, as amputees," he said."
I am with the Scottish politicians on this one. I think it's horrible and should not be allowed. That's me. This psychiatrist has to work with people who want healthy limbs amputated. I'd rather treat what is in their head. Maybe you can't. Is there a reason why they feel like this? Is there a set of circumstances which lead people to feeling like this? Won't it impair their capacity to work and participate in life? Is that a problem. Can a one legged father play footie with his children? What happens to them if they don't have the limb amputated? Do they get too depressed and can't participate in life. Now we have it out in the open, then I think we might as well confront and debate it...because there will be people out there who feel like that. I didn't know this condition existed until today and if I had just read it on another day I might have dismissed it as daft. It's serious. We need some sensible discussion. I just think no and have a lot of questions.

No comments: