Translate

Sunday, September 14, 2008

Facebook Facelift

BBC NEWS | Technology | Facebook imposes site facelift
Facebook's facelift will become permanent for all its 100 million users, like it or not.

I have only known the new Facebook and recent tinkering on the site has annoyed me a bit because there are all these pop up instructions...but I guess that helps those who can't navigate sites very well. I have just had an exhausting phone call to a friend who has just bought himself a laptop and even trying to get him to find the "windows" thing ( start button) was a trial...and then 2 hours later I discovered he hadn't loaded the printer software and couldn't open the CD drive. In retrospect it would've been quicker to drive over there! So Facebook has to cater to all sorts and I think the new site is pretty good. Criticisms of broadcasting private info in earlier days would have been warranted. The only thing I'd like is better, more grown up apps and a sidebar which can load more. I think the site is brilliant at locating people and blasts from the past. It is really remarkable and I think all the grannies should get on there and keep in contact with their kids and grandkids. It'd be so easy for them. Facebook has such a lot of potential and needs to grow up...but as it stands I like the interface I am working with. Last week the new site went down and there was another interface. Maybe the old one, I don't know. It was horrendous. Too cluttered. Too clumsy and far too busy. I laugh because a lot of people objecting to change are really quite young and I'm thinking, we keep being told how well these kids can adapt to new technology. Don't think so!

No comments: