Translate

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Human 'pet' thrown off bus

Human 'pet' thrown off bus : "“I am a pet,” she told the Daily Mail.

“I generally act animal-like and I lead a really easy life. I don't cook or clean and I don't go anywhere without Dani."

I think the bus driver expressed himself in an unfortunate way and needed to apologise but I can understand his capacity to be upset and offended. We didn't like the soldiers doing this to the Iraqis and we were deeply hurt by the images. Very hurt. It does cause pain to see someone on a leash and it is a problem on transport from a safety point of view. Some people might laugh...the soldiers thought it was funny. We have also spent such a long time trying to get away from this stereotype image of women and so now we have a 19 year old turning back the clock and saying it's what she wants and it was a hard fought battleground to get that kind of image of a woman put out of our minds. So , if she wants it back, the world will change again and women will be typecaste again...but it won't alter the fact that putting humans on a leash is deeply upsetting and distressing to a lot of people still. Maybe it'll change and we'll all love it. I won't so the thought she is doing this is hurting me because as a nation we have fought for this not to happen and many people in many countries have. I guess it's a matter of whether you take others into account or not whether it's hurtful or not.

No comments: