Translate

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Police crack Kings Cross drug ring

Police crack Kings Cross drug ring : "Detective Inspector Gavin Wood said police had dismantled a highly organised syndicate responsible for the majority of cocaine and heroin sales on the streets of Sydney's red light district."

There have been a few of these big busts around Australia and in other countries. All I can say is thank you. The police around the world have somehow managed to get a real inroad into this and I know drugs make heaps of money for people and that it is then very hard to take the syndicates on. I realise it's an act of courage. But when you see the poor buggers who are hooked and you see where they end up and how they end up and you realise that some of their children are then affected by their drug dependence, you realise we just have to take our courage in both hands and work on it as a team. The truth is, those who are good are making money will make it from anything. It's the money making which is important to them. We need to find a safer way of them making money because drugs are just destroying us all in one way or another. They and their impact are just too devastating. Kings Cross has been a problem for years. Last time I went to Sydney I was warned off going to Kings Cross but I went up there during the day because , well, you just have to go to Kings Cross if you are in Sydney. It didn't look as bad as it had sounded and had quite a buzz about it . I went into a coffee bar and ordered a black coffee and got my tourist brochures out. I must have looked really naive to them now I think about it. I was siting there drinking my coffee and thinking Kings Cross was all right when I realised the coffee bar had filled with very well built, very strong, very don't mess with me men. I breathed so slowly so that no one would hear me. I had been served in a polite and friendly manner and just had to assume that the politeness and friendliness would stay. I did feel like a bit of a twit.A lot of a twit, really. I was the only woman there and must have looked like a tiny doll compared with all these guys. I think had I been younger it might have been a problem. I wasn't overly dressed up and I looked pretty ordinary, so I did the crossword puzzle in the paper ( what was I thinking?), finished my coffee and then just got up, smiled at the shop owner , waved good bye , left and then let out a massively big breath. I went down to Circular Key and took a ferry over to Manly to wash the cobwebs away. Phew!!

No comments: