Translate

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Less food, less fat, but a pity about the exercise

AdelaideNow... Less food, less fat, but a pity about the exercise:

"'The research shows that children were eating much larger quantities of food in the past; for example, very large amounts of bread and potatoes,' he said."

It's always very tempting to come up with an easy answer and less exercise is probably why we are fatter in "civilised" nations. We need to look at the nations where people are not getting fatter. We spend long hours at work. We spend long hours in front of a technological device which was supposed to make our life easier. Do our children sit as well? How do we get to and from work? People are less apt to walk. Our suburbs are not built for walking as some areas are in Australia and the rest of the world. We walk less incase we are attacked. Great!! I so love it when I go away and I can walk around. We need more people out walking. More people on their front verandahs. We were talking about how when we used to walk to school how we always had oldies who grumbled at us or talked to us cheerily to and from school. Good for them and safer for us. We also eat food which is processed and manufactured. Real food is quite, quite different so we have to look at what we are indigesting because nations on processed food are getting fatter. Is that the connection? Get our food back to normal. Real bread, real vegetables, real food! Look at what we eat! We eat crap so we look and feel like crap. But I also remember my mum washing for the five of us...towels and sheets without a washing machine . She did that for years and was thin. Then she got a washing machine and put on weight! Was she glad to get rid of all that drudgery? Yes!! I try and strike a balance. I probably do more things myself than most people. Not many women mow the lawn. I love it and it's great exercise and not hard. I cook a lot of things and hand mix rather than machine mix...but I still have and use plenty of gadgets. Not many of us are out chopping wood for the fire and if we are we are in trouble for polluting...so we are going to have to remodel ourselves. I am sure there are more things we could do and changing the workplace would be a great start. Computers have tied us all up and down.

No comments: