Translate

Sunday, June 18, 2006

'Bursting point' puts buses in slow lane

The Advertiser: 'Bursting point' puts buses in slow lane :

"Passenger Transport Board figures show bus trips have increased from 43.67 million in the 2004/2005 financial year to 48.8 million from July, 2005, to the end of May.

This is equivalent to 125,500 trips a day. Total public transport use had grown from 56 million trips to 58.4 million in the same period."

Yes, it's all come together and the buses are wearing the brunt of it. Time to sit down and talk. We have had a number of roadworks going on to upgrade our travel, we have had petrol increases, an awareness of global warming and then the speed limit changes. Suddenly there are more people , not enough buses and then incredible traffic congestion. I had to drive out to Hindmarsh the other week and I could not belive how much I was held up. I was so glad of my CDs because it was a constant time wasting experience. I used to be able to drive straight to Hindmarsh. Others had reported the same coming from the other side fo the city. None of what is happening is bad but we do not have the "plan" which will manage all of this. I was glad I knew the back roads because I got home much faster by missing most of the main roads until I got on the freeway. It was silly. Very other city! My daughter uses buses all the time and each day it's a case of late buses or no buses in certain areas. We really need to have a sensible look at this.

No comments: