Translate

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Snail slows pace of coal mine

Snail slows pace of coal mine :

"Extinctions are more widespread now than at any time since the age of dinosaurs, experts say.

The snail, Powelliphanta Augustus, is just a few cm long, including its shell. But its isolated population has forced the state owned NZ company Solid Energy to offer plans to save the snail."

I am glad the energy company has included itself in the solution. I am glad its a company which shows some concern for the damage it is causing through conducting its daily business and I am glad a humble little snail can make us all stop and think about what is important. I love snails. It always amazes me how they appear from nowhere after the rain and how they just meander around quietly living their lives and eating all my plants!

No comments: