Translate

Saturday, February 25, 2006

Mutant Algae Pond Scum

Wired News:: "The work, led by plant physiologist Tasios Melis, is so far unpublished. But if it proves correct, it would mean a major breakthrough in using algae as an industrial factory, not only for hydrogen, but for a wide range of products, from biodiesel to cosmetics."

I thank Wired News for the lead to this article. It's fascinating. Who would have thought you could use mutant algae pond scum,C. reinhardtii, to create enough hydrogen to make a real difference industrially?? The article itself explains how this can be done and why it is viable . They have clearly done so much work on this and it's another case of scientists and researchers really using everything available to solve modern problems. I realise though, why I am not a scientist. No way would I get up in the morning, look at pond scum, and think, yes, that's the very thing we need to make hydrogen. My thought would be, how disgusting, I think I'd better clean the pond. Must be polluted!

No comments: