Translate

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Adelaide Water

The Advertiser: Act now or face a real crisis:

"SOUTH Australians will have to get used to poor quality drinking water, higher prices and tougher restrictions if government water strategy projects are not urgently stepped up, a new report states."

What do you mean get used to??? I have blogged about Adeliade water before. No bottled water company, no water filtration company has any difficulty whatsoever selling their products in Adelaide. Most of us carry bottled water and we drink fruit juice. Our tap water is a disgrace. Before it was a disaster. The first time I drank Adelaide water I sat it out and I was totally embarrassed. I have never spat anything out. I have also run a bath only to find brown stuff in my tub. I know we are in the driest state on the driest continent. There is no excuse for running water which is not properly treated and filtered. About 3 years ago some of us were losing our fish in tanks. The water board denied any problems...but the fish died all the same. We were all wondering. The tap water stinks of chlorine. Since we installed the filtration plant the water stays clear. It used to be a meal in a glass. Ships were not allowed to put Adelaide water on board. Saving water, being careful with water is something we all do and we are really quite good at this, except one or two who decide to run their sprinklers all day. That is rare, but I saw it on my walk recently and I was thinking how much we had changed because I actually noticed. So we are learning our water saving lessons and we are learning, as a state to be less wasteful...but it rained today and losts of places were flooded and that water has gone where?? Rainwater tanks are an essential home item...but they should be on all buildings where rainwater can be put to good use. I love it when I go away and my clothes wash well and my hair is all soft and shiny. I hate coming back to Adelaide and its water. So we are perfectly used to hard , horrible water that cakes up taps and kettles. Perfectly used to it.

No comments: