Translate

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

School bloggers suspended

Australian IT - School bloggers suspended :

"Seven secondary schools and two junior colleges have also got tough on penalised students for making offensive remarks about teachers on blogs: one secondary school student who called a teacher a 'prude' and a 'frustrated old spinster' on her blog was ordered to remove the remarks."

Yes, I am sure it would be hurtful to teachers to hear such comments, but I remember saying things like that about my teachers and still respect their capacity to teach me well. I am very grateful for all those ancient, weirdo teachers I have for doing such a good job with me and my brain. I still thought they were old fuddy duddies at the time. I didn't have the Net, though. The one thing which is clear from the Singaporean kid blogs is that the kids work extremely hard and take their studies very seriously. I hope the world is still allowed to see students who are totally commited to their learning and have a real concern for test and exam results. The blogs make it quite clear there are very high expectations in the Singaporean schools and the kids , I guess, use their blogs to deal with the pressure. They do need to learn they can't say everything, but they are kids and my impression is they are working hard. I think they are harsher on each other than they are on the teachers. I rarely read anything about the teachers, but as I said, it would hurt teachers to hear they have been maligned on line.

No comments: