Translate

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

CSIRO diet

News in Science - CSIRO diet gets a grilling:

"'The concept was to reduce [fats and carbohydrates] and keep protein as the centre of the diet and increase it a bit,' says co-author of the new diet, Dr Peter Clifton, research director at CSIRO Human Nutrition."

If you want to read the criticisms of the CSIRO diet, then this is the article for you. Everyone I know has been raving about it and I have never known a diet to cause such a buzz since everyone went on the Aitkins diet or the Israeli army diet where you ate mountains of apples. The book keeps selling out here and everyone keeps borrowing the copies other people have until they can get their own one. People seem to like focussing on protein and I can only assume it's because they eat too much fat and carbohydrate and need a reason to stop. Me? No. I love my bread and I love my apples and dates. I can't live without carbohydrate. But I am not overweight and I haven't been struggling with my fitness. What I can say is this CSIRO diet has cause enough hype and buzz to get people off their bottoms at thinking about their weight, health and fitness. If it is having that catalytic effect , then I view it as a good thing. People tend to even out once they are more in control and feeling better about themselves. Better than carrying on feeling sluggish, dull, fat and awful. It's the short term bursts they need to get started. Not everyone is disciplined about dieting or weight management, so they need a kick start.

No comments: