Translate

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Civil liberties

Terrorism threat justifies cutting civil liberties :

"Federal Attorney-General says there are provisions within the United Nations' Human Rights Convention, which justify tougher security measures against terrorism."

I honestly do not believe you can tell people what to be and do when it comes to being shot dead, exploded, maimed, marked and damaged because someone , somewhere decided you would be a good target. This is the general public speaking. I have heard about all these measures and counter measures and "threats to civil liberties" when the bottom line is I have a right to catch a train without being exploded. I have a right to stay in a hotel without being blown up. I have the right to travel without finding myself on the other side of the horizon. My civil liberties are gone because I am being caught unawares at vulnerable times. Basic trust in a society is not there because the few would perpetrate the unthinkable. I mean, it is a really low trick to blow someone up when they are sleeping. There is nothing fair about this and we know it and really, the approach is quite cowardly because it gets you when you are unaware and you shouldn't really need to be head swivelling 24 hours a day and fodder for some bomb happy person. So, the thing is this. I have had no information about how to look after myself. I have had no information about what to look for. I have had no information about what protective and logical action to take. I have been left to manage. So what I did was ago and do 2 days of a senior first aid course because I thought that would be a practical thing to do , given we seem to be living in an unhinged world. So tell me and don't give me a lecture on civil liberties...tell me what I can do? I shall keep talking about peace, because we seem to have forgotten that. Tell me how you cope with the trauma, the loss, the grief? Because we are coping with it. We are the ones at the coal face managing this.Maybe you should be talking to us and working out a game plan because we are the ones doing all the field work and testing all the hypotheses.Currently, we are the experts and how you deal with this because we keep being edploded and we keep managing it out there own our own. So maybe we have some good ideas for you. How should I protect my ears? This is so reminiscent of Der Tunnel

Do I sit there with wads of cotton wool in my ears and thick glasses? Where are my strategies and, in the meantime ,I shall still keep asking for and talking about peace.

No comments: