Translate

Friday, July 01, 2005

C'est quoi votre mobile?

I had French cable TV in the hotel in New Caledonia which was really fun. Seeing films and programmes which I knew in English was a new way of looking at everything. The "publicité" was in a block in the middle of programmes instead of the silly interruptions you get here. French ads are in a class of their own. They are inspired, often funny and then there's an attention to artistic detail. I actually looked forward to the ads whereas here I get up and walk off or they will make me turn the TV off because they are loud, offensive and very grating. This I find annoying because I know very well we have some great artists in Australia and we have a good sense of humour and during the Olympic games in 2000 we got to see the sort of great ads Australians could make on a regular basis, given the opportunity. It's the difference between treating your ads as an occasion to showcase your talent as well as market a product or simply tossing stuff out at your unsuspecting public and expecting them to put up with it. There was a great ad for a LG F2400 mobile phone which is a pretty classy mobile phone. The ad had a woman talking on a big prawn and then a guy with a plumbers' mate on his ear and then a guy with a snorkel on his ear and a shot of someone punching numbers into a ready to roast supermarket chicken and handing it over to the boss. It was funny and tasteful all at once and the punch line was: C'est quoi votre mobile? What's your mobile ? Then they did the spiel about the LG. A very satisfying ad. So I came online to see if I can get French cable here and I'm crying now because it's not available in SA. So now I need the Kleenex ads.BUGGA!

French TV Australia

No comments: